3A staggered withdrawal calculation/table

OxygeN

Hi all.
Of course it's quite early to get deep into this topic (still got 20 years to go before retirement!), anyways I'd like to understand a bit more about it already in advance.
Now I got a bit less than CHF 50'000.- transferred to finpension into portfolio #1 - of course after just a few days the capital passed the 50k threshold. And this is a value I had in mind, being some sort of limit to keep in mind. Practically, I've been told and I've read about keeping not more than 50k on a 3A account, because the taxation has different percentages in 50k steps. I didn't find any evidence of this, thus this first question: is it true that taxation percentages change every 50k with regards to withdrawal of 3A accounts?
Second: if in the same year I withdraw a 3A account and a random amount from the second pillar, they would get summed for taxation purposes (thus potentially being past the 50k mark)?

I've asked my cantonal tax office how the taxation percentage would change in relation to the 3A withdrawals and they suggested I calculate it here.
I entered 50'000 (both "Bund" and "Kanton" - is this correct?) and with my situation (single, unmarried, no kids, no religion) it calculated CHF 1'640.45 total taxes (corresponding to 3,28%).
I then entered 100'000 and taxes went up to CHF 5'041.90 (corresponding to 5.04%).
With 80'000 the taxes are 4.45%... so this would actually prove that the taxation is progressive but not "in levels" (like stepping for each additional 50k).

Can anybody help me understand, if I'm getting it right?
Thanks!

is it true that taxation percentages change every 50k with regards to withdrawal of 3A accounts?
Yes and no. Basically, each canton has its own calculation. For instance, in Fribourg, it's 1% for the first 50K and then 2% for the next 50K and again 3% for the next 50K, ...

So, you really have to look at the table for each canton. It's quite possible that Aargau does not have step-wise taxation.

if in the same year I withdraw a 3A account and a random amount from the second pillar, they would get summed for taxation purposes
Correct.

Here I am back with more details - at least for Kanton Aargau:

So there's no "50k after 50k" tax rate - it's more granular. And also more difficult to calculate on my own (that's why I'd be using the tax calculator for AG:

Looking at the PDF, it seems to be only income tax, no?
You're right. But if you go here you can use the calculator "Berechnung separate Jahressteuer zum Vorsorgetarif" which is for capital payments from 2nd and 3rd pillars. The guy at the tax office didn't tell me something else, thus I guess the information applies. But maybe I don't understand it yet?!
What indeed is confusing, is the fact that if I enter CHF 3'900.- both for confederation and canton, I still get a total amount of CHF 83.10 - shouldn't we expect it to be CHF 0.-?

I don't understand the calculator (maybe because of my German). Even this calculator mentions income, and they are two different incomes even though a withdrawal should be only one.

I am not sure you can expect it to be zero.

Back