FINMA and the accessability of US-based funds for Swiss investors

Omainec

Hi everybody
In some Finance-Blog I read this peace of information: ". ..als Konsequenz sind die US-Fonds inzwischen über viele europäische Banken und Broker für Privatkunden nicht mehr handelbar. Die konkrete Genehmigungspflicht und damit der Vertrieb von ausländischen kollektiven Anlagen in der Schweiz ist in Art. 120 des Kollektivanlagengesetz (KAG) geregelt. Die in der Schweiz zum Vertrieb zugelassenen kollektiven Anlagen werden in einer Liste der FINMA aufgeführt. Aktuell befinden sich darauf rund 8’600 Fonds, wobei kein einziger Fonds mit Domizil USA dabei ist." ... now I'm quite confused, as I'm not a "professional" investor, but still on IBKR I'm able to trade funds domiciled in the US whitout any issues ... Is this in line with FINMA policies? Thanks everybody for clarification.

Welcome to the forum

My understanding is that financial services cannot advertise/recommend US ETFs for Swiss investors. But they can still provide execution of them. This is known as execution-only.

IB is not the only one providing access to these ETFs. Swissquote also provides access to them. And even Investart does so.

Overall, I think this is entirely in line with FINMA.

Reactions: Max
Back