Education

Eva

I'm looking for a "foundational" course to learn about investing, managing calculators, selecting the right platform for my portfolio and expanding my financial knowledge. Does anyone have recommendations for a practical, step-by-step modularized program with audio-lectured visual curriculum? I'm not sure if it's crucial for the course to be based in Switzerland since I believe this forum can provide specific insights once I have the basic knowledge. Maybe I am wrong? Appreciate any tips you can share!

Hi Eva,

Are you sure you really need a course? I don't think courses are nearly as useful as their creators think.

If you are really looking for a course, I think that a course based in Switzerland is actually a good idea because of the different biases from other countries. But it is entirely true that the basics of simple investing are the same in all countries.

On that note, I am hoping to have an ebook ready by the end of the year that should contain everything you need to get started investing, at a much lower cost than a course.

This article should contain pointers on the main points to get started:

Reactions: Eva
I'm looking for a "foundational" course to learn about investing, managing calculators, selecting the right platform for my portfolio and expanding my financial knowledge. Does anyone have recommendations for a practical, step-by-step modularized program with audio-lectured visual curriculum? I'm not sure if it's crucial for the course to be based in Switzerland since I believe this forum can provide specific insights once I have the basic knowledge. Maybe I am wrong? Appreciate any tips you can share!
In case German is OK for you - as a beginner I found videos on Fintool YT-channel by Prof. Heri very helpful. Nowadays, they also have a commercial online academy and publish books.

Again, if German is OK for you - books by Dr. Kommer on passive investing with ETFs are bestsellers in Germany.

Last edited:
In my opinion you will never find such a course. To have a good education in this field, you need to draw information from multiple sources: books, blogs, consumer magazines like "K-Geld" or "Mon Argent" and friends who are financially savvy. I think the latter is really important: to know people who know all the "financial" tricks.
If I could recommend 2 books, I would definitely recommend "The Psychology of Money" and "Thinking fast and slow". The latter book is not specifically a financial book, but it touches on investing in some chapters from a behavorial point of view. Understanding the general human behavior and understanding your own behavior with investments is the most import thing of all. Vermögenszentrum also edits some books, I got one which covered the basics of investing with ETFs.
About selecting the best platform, you will not find this information in a course either, you have to do your own research. Also the best platform might not be the same for you as for me. Platform A might be better if you trade 5 times 50'000 CHF a year and Platform B might be better if you trade 100 times 1000 CHF a year. Similar to mobile phone abos, you need to know what your usage will be and then need to compare the projected fees between different platforms.

Back