How to not get bored with safe ETF for a 'HODL' investment?

WillSnow

Quick query for folks - our main investment is in $VT.

Back in August I had around $2,000 in my InteractiveBrokers and I forget the specifics of what was going through my head at the time, but I basically thought "ah screw it" and bought four ( 4 ) shares in Nvidia at around $490.

Obviously with the craziness going on with the NVDA stock, I've been very lucky and I'll probably close that position soon.

But it got me thinking - what 'strategies' do people have to stop themselves getting bored with $VT etc and then the dangerous road that could lead down?

Do you allow yourself a small personal 'play fund', like ValueStockGeek suggests here https://x.com/ValueStockGeek/status/1757011675583242309?s=20

It's a great question because investing passively in ETFs is indeed boring, which is good because it's supposed to be boring. But sometimes, it means we want to do some other stuff on IB.

Personally, I allow myself 5% of fun money where I can allocate 5% of my portfolio to anything I want in IB.

It's a great question because investing passively in ETFs is indeed boring, which is good because it's supposed to be boring. But sometimes, it means we want to do some other stuff on IB.

Personally, I allow myself 5% of fun money where I can allocate 5% of my portfolio to anything I want in IB.
Interesting, as the total amount will be rather substantial at the time of retirement. So two questions: do the 5% count towards your total FIRE target? Do you plan to reduce the % over time?

As for now I‘m super strict. I got burnt in my younger days stockpicking. Although I have to remind myself know and then when I get fomo.

Interesting, as the total amount will be rather substantial at the time of retirement. So two questions: do the 5% count towards your total FIRE target? Do you plan to reduce the % over time?
So far, it does count towards my FIRE target, but either I will divest out of it once in retirement, or I will not count it. It also depends on the risks. If you are doing penny stocks, I would probably not count it in FIRE target. My fun money is invested in Microsoft only, so it's not a huge deviation from the rest of my investment. I would not mind keeping it in retirement (but who knows what will happen in 15 years).

I currently do not plan to reduce the % over time, but I would say it depends again on how risky your fun money is and how risk-adverse you are.

Back