Moving from Switzerland to the Netherlands - Ibkr account

Digital-mindset

This year I open a brokerage account with Ibkr from switzerland. Before the end of the year I plan to move to the Netherlands long term. Anyone has experience with changing residency with IBKR ? if so is it a different identity in europe compared to switzerland ? Otherwise, do I risk much by leaving my residency in Switzerland in IBKR, even though I officially moved to NL ? Of course I'd pay my taxes.

Welcome to the forum!

Since the Netherlands are in the EU, you will have to change entity indeed, likely Ireland. You should ask the support how to do that in advance.

And yes, you risk something by keeping your old residency because several things will be different. For instance, as a NL resident, you will not be able to get US ETFs and the withholding US shares would be different.

Welcome to the forum!

Since the Netherlands are in the EU, you will have to change entity indeed, likely Ireland. You should ask the support how to do that in advance.

And yes, you risk something by keeping your old residency because several things will be different. For instance, as a NL resident, you will not be able to get US ETFs and the withholding US shares would be different.
Hey Baptiste, thanks for your answer. Your blog has been such a goldmine for me as a young swiss man, been learning a lot thanks to you !
Would you recommend any lawyer or accountant to make sure I transition smoothly ? I speak French and English as I'm from Geneva.
Thanks a lot !

I don't know any good lawyer or accountant. Unless you have a considerable estate, I would be surprised if it was really necessary to gather professional advice.

Back