Starting with IBKR

It makes sense doing it step-by-step, no need to rush.

But I am not sure it makes sense to wait. You are simply transferring assets from one "container" to another. You will not be out of the market for long, no?

Reactions: Max
It makes sense doing it step-by-step, no need to rush.

But I am not sure it makes sense to wait. You are simply transferring assets from one "container" to another. You will not be out of the market for long, no?
Correct, I don't think I would like to be "out of the market" with +200k just sitting around in an account without any interests.
Maybe it's me being a newbie at this, but it sucks to see that 10 days ago I had like around 210k and now I just got 205k... I feel like I'm trying to "time the market", whereas I think I've understood that I should rather "time in the market". So basically: if I request to close all my positions now, I would still take home a surplus of ca. 15k (compared to the 19k of 10 days ago). I think the more experienced people in the world of finance are able to not think about the few k they lost last week and move on with their plan: moving away from UBS - right? :cool:

I think the more experienced people in the world of finance are able to not think about the few k they lost last week and move on with their plan: moving away from UBS - right? :cool:
We currently have a correction on the stock market. VT went down last week as well. By changing to VT you are not starting to invest in totally different underlying stocks, which would go up when your UBS stock funds go down, so that you would have a loss when changing between them. You are changing between trains which simultaneously go in the same direction.

1723151401135.png

Last edited:
As @Max said, if you are investing passively, the drop will be the same before and after the move. The recovery should also be the same (minus the fees).

Very nice analogy with the trains.

Reactions: Max
Thank you both, @Max and @Baptiste Wicht - in fact I think I was looking at the drop in my surplus at UBS in terms of "withdrawing the money I made on top of my investments". But this is wrong, as I'm investing long-term and the money is not really mine until I decide to withdraw it (I like to think of investments this way).

And yes: the analogy with the trains is very helpful (at least to me - I'm a graphical person and I often need to be able to visualise what's being explained to me and numbers are for sure not the easiest thing to visualise :cool:).

Back