Neon will introduce their own 3a

Baptiste Wicht

The Poor Swiss
Staff member
Hi,

In the next few months (likely November), Neon will launch their own 3a.

On paper, it looks quite good:
* Maximum of 99% invested in stocks
* Use of retirement funds
* Fees between 0.45% and 0.39%

It may well be among the best third pillars available. They are now open to beta testers.

I will do a full-fledged review once it's live, but it looks promising

What do you think?
 
I just got the email about it.

I wonder if we'll be able to make our personal strategies like Viac or Finpension, or if it's a fixed strategie like a Global 100 on VIAC or Yuh.
 
Neon has also introduced a fee of 10 CHF for the reissue of a basic card at the expiraton of the preivious one.
 
I wonder if we'll be able to make our personal strategies like Viac or Finpension, or if it's a fixed strategie like a Global 100 on VIAC or Yuh.
From all I have seen so far, there are only fixed strategies:
* Choose from global, Swiss, sustainable, or sustainable Swiss
* Choose from 25% to 99% stocks

But things can still change by launch.
 
While I generally appreciate Neon as a welcome addition to help foster digital banking, I wouldn't know a concrete use case or person that I'd recommend Neon to.
As for their 3a: it fits well into their strategy to become a financially sustainable business offering a full set of banking products. Probably not for people who seek the best deal of 3a pension but to keep and expand their existing customers and be on par with Yuh.
 
Neon has also introduced a fee of 10 CHF for the reissue of a basic card at the expiraton of the preivious one.
Neon is truly becoming the Netflix of swiss neo-banks. Really counting on the people who stay to pay. They probably figured that those who count every penny only use the card for foreign transactions and don't bring much to the company anyway, so why not make them pay if they want to continue using the service? It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays out for them.

I remember when they used to have a timeline/roadmap of past/future features... they removed it from their website (which is a nice copy of Yuh now). They really are stumbling behind Yuh. If Yuh were to, say, cut their foreign transaction fee to 0.5%, it would pretty much kill Neon.

From all I have seen so far, there are only fixed strategies:
* Choose from global, Swiss, sustainable, or sustainable Swiss
* Choose from 25% to 99% stocks

But things can still change by launch.
Yeah so it's more like YUH than VIAC/Finpension, not very tempting then for those who are already with these two.

While I generally appreciate Neon as a welcome addition to help foster digital banking, I wouldn't know a concrete use case or person that I'd recommend Neon to.
True, they kind of lost what made them special, when they introduced fees for the free tier and paid plans (even though they already had paid plans, so really they just made the free tier worse).

But still it's good to see them making their banking offer more complete. Maybe now they can focus on their TWINT app, virtual cards, multi currency accounts...
 
As for their 3a: it fits well into their strategy to become a financially sustainable business offering a full set of banking products. Probably not for people who seek the best deal of 3a pension but to keep and expand their existing customers and be on par with Yuh
Looking at the basics, it will actually be quite good. It's probably only lacking customization to be at the level of Finpension/VIAC.
I remember when they used to have a timeline/roadmap of past/future features... they removed it from their website (which is a nice copy of Yuh now). They really are stumbling behind Yuh. If Yuh were to, say, cut their foreign transaction fee to 0.5%, it would pretty much kill Neon
Fun, I was also looking for the roadmap today and I could not find either.

It's interesting that they started as the leader, but they are indeed falling behind Yuh, even though they still have a better value proposition in my opinion.
 
As for their 3a: it fits well into their strategy to become a financially sustainable business offering a full set of banking products. Probably not for people who seek the best deal of 3a pension but to keep and expand their existing customers and be on par with Yuh.
You were right :) When digging into it deeper, it's indeed not on the level of Finpension/Frankly/VIAC. But it's still better than Yuh, which was likely their goal.
 
Fun, I was also looking for the roadmap today and I could not find either.
They've added their roadmap again: https://www.neon-free.ch/en/about-us from a start-up pov it really is nice to nice how they've grown and where they're headed. Looks like TWINT is coming soon.


Also I have been thinking about making Neon my main account again... and would be willing to transfer my pillar 3a from VIAC to them to simplify my finances/apps. I do wonder if they would do something like BCV, where they waive the fees of the account (Plus) if you have a certain amount of cash/investment with them... (in my case the 50k transfer from VIAC3a + cash). I might drop them an email to ask.
The reason I'm thinking about switching to Neon is because I like their analytics, as I'm slowly getting tired of manually tracking my expenses with my Excel/Numbers sheet. But I won't pay a bank to use my money.
 
Back
Top