Retiring in Switzerland, how much money?

George

Hi everyone,
I am new to this exciting FIRE idea, so excuse my basic question here:
If a couple wants to do FIRE in Switzerland, have you calculated the capital/assets that must be accumulated to make this feasible?

PS. I understand that the answer might be multiparametric and dependant on personal situations, but I am looking for a rule-of-thumb answer here, based on some data that you might have collected/analysed and/or personal experience, to understand first-of the feasibility.

Thank you in advance !
Amazing Blog and Forum

If a couple wants to do FIRE in Switzerland, have you calculated the capital/assets that must be accumulated to make this feasible?
Are you already in Switzerland? If yes, you can use your current expenses as a basis.

The rule of thumb is the same everywhere: You multiply your annual expenses by (100/withdrawal rate). So, if you follow the 4% rule, you multiply your expenses by 25 and you get your target number.

For instance, we plan to spend 100k CHF per year in retirement and our withdrawal rate is 3.8%, so we must accumulate 2.61 million.

If you want an idea of the average Swiss household, you can check out this article:

Are you already in Switzerland? If yes, you can use your current expenses as a basis.

The rule of thumb is the same everywhere: You multiply your annual expenses by (100/withdrawal rate). So, if you follow the 4% rule, you multiply your expenses by 25 and you get your target number.

For instance, we plan to spend 100k CHF per year in retirement and our withdrawal rate is 3.8%, so we must accumulate 2.61 million.

If you want an idea of the average Swiss household, you can check out this article:

Thank you Baptiste for your reply!!

Yes. I am already in Switzerland. So, I can indeed use my current expenses as a basis.
With regards to the withdrawal rate, do you have any pointers on how one can personalise it.
My understanding is that it is the amount of money you withdraw every year from your capital.
So, it must be correlated with your year of retirement, and maybe other parameters.
For instance for a FIRE at 50 yo in Switzerland, is it still 4%?
Let me know if there is anywhere where I could get more info about this,

All the best!

Back