Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Baptiste Wicht

The Poor Swiss
Staff member
Hi

It would be interesting to know if people are planning to retire early or not. I know that many of my readers are interested in saving money, but i think that very few of them actually want to retire early.

I love what I am doing, so, even if I retire - maybe it will be a part-time retirement (or part-time job). At least how I see it for now.
But reaching FI - is another thing. Yes, I want to reach FI before retirement )

I plan to retire early, from a planning point of view - but I don't know if I will actually do it. A lot will depend on my personal circumstances at the time, how my career is going, my employer, wherever I may be living and the needs of my family. More than anything, I want the choice to retire early if I want to without necessarily making a commitment out of it.

I plan to retire early, from a planning point of view - but I don't know if I will actually do it. A lot will depend on my personal circumstances at the time, how my career is going, my employer, wherever I may be living and the needs of my family. More than anything, I want the choice to retire early if I want to without necessarily making a commitment out of it.
That's a great way to put it!

It is important to realize that things may change drastically by the time we are to the point where we can retire early.

No. I really like my job and spent a long time at university training for it (scientist, big pharma). I also got royally shafted during pregnancy when I was too sick too work, lost my job, ended up stuck unemployed as a foreign woman with young children. So I now have a 4-year hole in my employment record that I need to plug too.

(Notwithstanding winning big on the lottery. but then I’d set up my own biotech, so still no!)

Same here, I would like to reach financial independence before retiring but instead of just retiring I would reduce my working hours to 60% or so just to keep the engine running.
I love this option too...reducing the working hours, but I know myself, I can never work 50%, I always end up working more than 100%!

Yes, I hope in 15 years. 55-58 years old. There are so many better things to do than working !!!
But sure i'll have to quit Switzerland for a cheaper country.
Spain is in my mind.

Back